Friday, January 07, 2005

The weird thing about a blog is, you are never really sure how personal you want to be about it. To be truly interesting it should be personal, but do you really want to write about all your fears and doubts in so much detail that it lays there dissected on the table for anyone to see? It's a dilemma.
So when my grandfather died, I didn't feel comfortable writing about it, too personal and affected me in a way that was more difficult than I would imagine.
But then Kelly Freas and Will Eisner died and I felt the need to write about two people I really didn't know. It's safer. I'm just glad I knew my grandfather and can remember all the fun times I had. He will be missed.
Enough of that....
When I was young my parents would go to this little hole in the wall bookstore in Alexandria. They would spend forever there. To pass the time I would look at the old sci-fi paperbacks, studying the covers imagining the stories held within. So many of those covers were done by Kelly Freas. It's no stretch to say he was one who made me want to do illustration. He passed away the other day. He will be missed.



I came late to discovering Will Eisner. I missed The Spirit when it was popular. But when I was first starting college I discovered Comics and Sequential Art, the book Will Eisner wrote on the secrets of sequential narrative. It opened a whole new world to me on how to read comics. It led me to reading Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics and made me dream about making comics. He's the only person I can think of that has an award named after him that someday I want to win. He passed away the other day. He will be missed.

No comments: